The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) published a Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Empire Wind project offshore New York.
The Notice of Intent initiates a public comment period that ends July 26, 2021. During the public comment period, BOEM will host three virtual scoping meetings where the public can learn more about the Construction and Operations Plan (COP), ask questions, and provide oral testimony.
The three virtual meetings will be held on the dates and times below.
- Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 5:00 PM ET
- Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 5:00 PM ET
- Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 1:00 PM ET
For more information, please see: Empire Wind Scoping Virtual Meeting Room.
The Empire Wind COP is available on BOEM’s Empire Wind page and includes a description of the project which proposes:
- up to 174 wind turbine generators;
- two offshore substations and 2 offshore electrical cable routes;
- up to three export cable landfall sites;
- up to three onshore electrical cable routes and two onshore substations providing connection to the existing electrical grid in New York
Following the comment period, BOEM will publish a scoping report and use the comments received during the public scoping process to identify issues and potential alternatives for consideration in the Empire Wind Draft EIS. Please find a permitting timeline here: https://www.permits.performance.gov/permitting-project/empire-wind-energy-project.