EXTERNAL DATA SOURCES
This page provides a directory of other selected data sources and mapping tools for ocean planning in the region. Please note that the Northeast Ocean Data Working Group is not responsible for data integrity or operability of the resources presented on this page.
Maps and Tools
The Northeastern Regional Association of Coastal and Ocean Observing Systems (NERACOOS) provides real-time maps, forecasts, and historical data on ocean conditions.
The Environmental Response Management Application (ERMA) is a web-based GIS tool for emergency responders and environmental resource managers. ERMA integrates real-time and static datasets into a single interactive map.
The U.S. Atlantic Coast and Eastern Region Internet Map Server web page of the U.S. Geological Survey is a gateway to maps and data on high-resolution seafloor mapping, shoreline change, sediments, and other features.
Connecticut Environmental Conditions Online provides simple and advanced interactive map viewers with many types of data related to coastal resource management, along with aerial photographs.
The Maine Department of Marine Resources website has aerial photography and maps of aquaculture sites, eelgrass beds, lobster zones, shellfish closures, and other features.
The Massachusetts Ocean Resources Information System (MORIS) is an interactive map that can be used to find and display spatial data pertaining to the Massachusetts coastal zone.
The Rhode Island Ocean Special Area Management Program map has satellite images, nautical charts, and data on ocean uses, environmental characteristics, and administrative boundaries.
The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management provides an interactive map with data on environmental resources, oil spill susceptibility, topography, and other parameters.
Ocean.Data.Gov is the National Ocean Council’s portal with a wide range of data, information, and tools to support people engaged in ocean and coastal planning.
MarineCadastre.gov provides authoritative and regularly updated ocean information including offshore boundaries, infrastructure, human uses, energy potential, and other data sets.
NOAA’s Digital Coast provides access to dozens of tools for data analysis, data visualization, and simulation in support of ocean and coastal planning.
The Wetlands Mapper displays wetland habitat data from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Web Mapping Services
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM)
- EPA STORET
- EPA Watershed Assessment, Tracking & Environmental Results
- NOAA ENC Direct
- NOAA NowCOAST
- NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information
- USGS Coastal and Marine Geology Program
- USGS National Water Information System
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife National Wetlands Inventory
Other Data Resources
- Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection
- Maine Coastal Atlas
- Maine Office of GIS
- Maine Commercial Fisheries Landings Data
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection GIS Unit
- Massachusetts Geographic Information System
- Massachusetts Coastal Zone Management (MORIS)
- Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries (MIS & Fisheries Statistics)
- New Hampshire Geographically Referenced Analysis and Information Transfer System
- New York State GIS Clearinghouse
- Rhode Island Geographic Information System
- Rhode Island Ocean Special Area Management Plan
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
- Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement
- EPA Regulated Facilities (Facility Registry System)
- NOAA Digital Coast
- NOAA Integrated Ocean Observing System Catalog
- NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service
- NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service: InPort – Data and Tools Repository
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Spatial Data Branch
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Navigation Data Center
- U.S. Geological Survey – Internet Map Server and GIS Data
- U.S. Geological Survey – Data Archives
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – Migratory Bird Data Center
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Council on the Ocean Data Portal
- Connecticut Environmental Conditions Online
- Northeastern Regional Association of Coastal Ocean Observing Systems (NERACOOS)
- The Nature Conservancy (Northwest Atlantic Marine Ecoregional Assessment)
- University of Connecticut Map and Geographic Information Center
- University of Rhode Island Environmental Data Center
- National Ocean Economics Program
- National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis Data Repository
- Ocean Biogeographic Information System